Saturday, September 26, 2009

Clue 5

1. Who is Effie waiting for?
In this story, it does not clearly say who Effie was waiting for. I think someone who Effie was waiting for was not a normal person. I predict in this way because there won't be someone only coming when it's raining and thundering. However, the music part really gives me a grasp that this person or non person is not really a bad one. I think someone who Effie is waiting for might be a holy angel or God.

Bible Verse Related to the theme: Luke 6:27: '"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do well to those who hate you,' This verse is related to the theme because first, Neil didn't like Effie. However, after Effie left him, he wanted her back. This means that Neil followed God's will.

2. This story contains a lot of Christ imagery. Write down these separate sentences from the story that might symbolize Jesus and explain why Timothy Findley might have written these into his story.
- "On a cloud," she whispered.
This quote shows that this person who Effie is waiting for is not a human. I think this person on the cloud is God or Holy Spirit because none of the living creatures can be on the cloud. I think Timothy put this quote into show that God different then normal human being.
- "If there was even thunder and lighting and music then He'd come."
I think 'He' in this quote represents God. I think this thunder and lighting represents power of God while music represents grace and mercy. I think Timothy wrote this to show how great and powerful the God is.
- "Besides, it's not just me he's after."
I think this quote represents that God doesn't want 'some' people to have faith in Him. He wants everybody to believe in Him. Overall, I think Timothy wrote these quotes to empathize that there is the God and He is almighty.

3. Can non-Christian authors reveal truth about god's world?
In my opinion, non-Christian could never reveal truth about God's world. It is understandable that non Christian authors can write about God. However, without strong faith toward God, no one can see the truth about God's world. It is like summarizing the book by only looking at the cover. This is the reason why I think non Christian authors can't reveal truth about God's World.

4. What is the theme of "About Effie"
This story was the weirdest story I ever read. It was quiet difficult to understand the flow of the story. I'm not clear but I think theme of this story is if there is meeting there is always separation. First, Effie met Neil and after, Effie left him. I think this can be related to nowadays life. People always get separated because every people die. Another theme I think about is hate can turn into love. When Neil first saw Effie, he thought that she was crazy and stupid. However, he felt sad when Effie left him. These are the two themes I came up with after reading the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment