Sunday, September 6, 2009

Clue 6: What is beautiful about figurative language?

1. Authors use figurative language because it makes readers to imagine things much quicker and better. Figurative language is different then just normal words. It has meaning other than literary meaning. Figurative language can be also view as comparison between two ideas or objects. This also makes easier for readers to understand some of the difficult ideas. For example, if you are explaining about love, you can say that love is like chocolate. This is the comparison of love and chocolate which makes other people to realize some of the characteristic of love easily. Lastly, figurative language is interesting to readers. Just putting in literary meaning words could bore readers very easily. For example, this statement, “cat is like a cute teddy bear” is much more interesting than “cat is an animal which is very cute.”

2. 3 metaphors:
- "But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts on a lonely hill."(William Sharp, "The Lonely Hunter")
- "Memory is a crazy woman that hoards colored rags and throws away food."(Austin O'Malley, Keystones of Thought)
- "Men's words are bullets, that their enemies take up and make use of against them."(George Savile, Maxims of State)

3.
Simile:
- Luke 3:22 'and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."'
- Luke 10:3 '"Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves."'
- Luke 10:18 'He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven."'
- John 15:6 "If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned."

Metaphor:
- John 4:21 'God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."'
- John 6:51 'I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."'

4. I think bible uses metaphor to clear the understanding of God that he is mighty and graceful. It also tells us how heavenly God’s world is. Figurative language used in Bible help me to get interesting in God’s World. Most of the metaphor and simile in the bible compare God with other objects. In my opinion, this is to make readers to understand God much easier. Using metaphor really helped me to have better understanding of God’s World because using simile and metaphor was like giving example to me. For example, in John 6:51, it says 'I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."' This help me to understand much better that nothing but believing God will lead us to heavenly world afterlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment